Female empowerment reigns supreme

Even in high school, and even with contemporary music that makes it seem otherwise

Lesly Herrera, Staff Writer

4/10/20

It’s a very windy afternoon here in D.C. My routine has changed quite a lot. I wake up late, do my “morning” routine, start on some homework and play some video games with my friends. The only thing that’s keeping me sane right now is music.

I like to think this generation’s time of music isn’t the best. I prefer to listen to music from the 70’s and 80’s generation. It reminds me of right now: despite everything bad happening the musicians made it a little bit better with some hits. 

There’s this thing that bothers me about today’s music. Most of the male artists talk about trapping, or sexualizing women. The lady artists also talk about sexual things, which seems to “make it okay” for the men to sexualize women. 

But that’s everyone else’s taste in music, I like the classics.

4/11/20

Despite the slow days that pass by, and everything being about the Coronavirus, I learned a thing or two about self respect. Now let me tell you how I got there. 

As naive as I am I was in a relationship. I knew it wouldn’t have lasted considering the fact high school relationships don’t always last, but my now-ex boyfriend didn’t know that. We came to a problem where I would have to chase him for attention, or he would disrespect me if I didn’t want to do something he wanted to do.

Eventually I got fed up, decided he didn’t need anymore chances, and decided to love myself more. He didn’t take it well, but I don’t care because he’s not my problem anymore, and I now know my self worth. 

Photo by Lesly Herrera
Respect for one’s self is more important than having the company of a person who dis’s you.