Roosevelt Students Attack on Climate Change

As+the+hibachi+Chef+serves+our+Earth+to+wildfires%2C+storms%2C+and+pollution%2C+the+world+is+slowly+but+dramatically+changing.+In+the+mural+mother+nature+reaches+through+the+abyss+in+hopes+of+saving+our+Earth.+The+mural+represents+what+is+going+on+in+our+ecosystem+and+bringing+it+to+light+in+the+form+of+a+painting.++

Jennifer Ramirez

As the hibachi Chef serves our Earth to wildfires, storms, and pollution, the world is slowly but dramatically changing. In the mural mother nature reaches through the abyss in hopes of saving our Earth. The mural represents what is going on in our ecosystem and bringing it to light in the form of a painting.

Jennifer Ramirez & Justin Ward, Editor in Chief & Staff Writer

The Advanced Placement Art classroom led by Maame A-Bawuah has been hard at work creating a climate change mural for the Pepco Edison Place Gallery. Climate change is a critical issue for any electricity company due to its many concerns about the waste it provides to our planet. On March 7 the Mural went on exhibit at the Pepco Edison Place Gallery located in Chinatown, where it will stay until the end of May. 

“Pepco is a power company and one of the things they are trying to do is talk about climate change and ways to improve it,” Maame A-Bawuah explains. 

Students N’ya Sesay, Miguel Cortez, Timoire King, Renesha Herbert, and Javier Pena brainstormed possible ideas of how they could convey their own perceptions of climate change.  

A-Bawuah further explains the description of her students’ mural: “My AP art class created the concept of having the mural consist of a hibachi chef cutting up the world and serving it to destruction which were all student led ideas that came to create the final mural.” 

Eco’s Kitchen is shown to depict mother nature reaching through the abyss to stop pollution but is not able to reach, demonstrating that only humans can create change. 

In an article on climate change in DC, Jacob Fenston of NPR asserts that “the Potomac and the Anacostia, are both tidal within the city limits, meaning they are directly influenced by the ocean’s tides and level.” 

With the increase of degrees Celsius, sea levels will rise and low lying parts of D.C. will be under water because of the proximity to the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers.  

In an article on ‘Delay means death’: We’re running out of ways to adapt to the climate crisis, new report shows. Here are the key takeaways, Rachel Ramirez of CNN explains that “as many as 18% of all land species will be at high risk of extinction, according to the report. At 4 degrees, 50% of species are threatened.” 

Increasing degrees will only endanger wildlife, nature, and humans’ lives even more. Pepco is demonstrating its willingness to show the importance of change through art.

The mural is created by junior N’ya Sesay , junior Miguel Cortez-Quintanilla , junior Timoire King , senior Renesha Herbert and senior Javier Pena. The AP art students brainstormed ideas for the mural to show the climate change topic and exhibit it to the public.