Pointer Does It All

Shelby Taylor, Features Editor

Ke’Mari Pointer can be intimidating on the court. (Photo by Kwame Adu-Wusu)

Freshman athlete Ke’mari Pointer averaged 7 points per game as a starter this basketball season while achieving a 4.38 GPA.  Pointer has been playing basketball since he was 4 or 5.

When he is not running around the court Pointer enjoys working out, spending time with his friends and playing the game. He is the oldest of three, with two younger sisters. After high school Pointer would like to go into the NBA or start his own company. In his next years of high school, he hopes to become Gatorade player of the year. This is an aspiration of his because “It’s a huge accomplishment,” Pointer says. 

Ke’mari’s favorite subject is math. His teacher Christopher Olson said that Pointer is a good student. “Kemari’s a very hard worker. He likes to get along with students, likes to try to help out as much as he can,” Olson says. 

Pointer manages school and basketball by allocating his time. “I try to allocate sometime about 2-3 hours to basketball excluding practice and then allocate some time to school about 5-6 hour,” Pointer stated. 

Pointer’s coach Robert Nickens had plenty to say about the youngster. “I would say he’s one of the best assist men in the DCIAA, especially as being a freshman,” Nickens said. “He was ready to come in here and play big time high school basketball, it didn’t matter what grade or classification.”

Nickens also credits some of the team’s success to Pointer, stating, “He’s had a great year. We wouldn’t be where we are now without him playing as well as he played.”

Photo by Kwame Adu-Wusu