Brittany Williams cooks up positivity

Courtesy of Brittany Williams

Ms. Williams teaches chemistry, and she also makes and sells her own skin care products.

Tamar Coon, Staff Writer

Chemistry teacher and business woman Brittany Williams, has an energy that draws people towards her like the negative to positive magnetic attraction. 

Walking into her room for lunch there is vitality and liveliness. Students surround her wanting to engage in conversation. She does not give her attention just to one thing but a lot of things at once. Like the particles of gas, she doesn’t stay in one place for long.

The love for knowledge drives her to want more of it, she just wants to learn everything. “I can’t have enough,” she said.

In fact, even teaching isn’t enough. After experimenting with chemical mixtures in school, she goes home and experiments with chemicals to make the products for her skin care business.

She created Deep Rooted Skin Care, an all natural skin care business because she understands chemistry and because the products she was buying in stores did not work for her. “Growing up I always took care of my skin. I was taught to keep my skin moisturized,” Williams said. 

The eldest of seven half siblings, Williams said she got where she is today through God and the ability of self discipline. It is her students who keep her motivated. She likes to help her students develop their own unique character. 

She also attended private school that changed her. High school for Williams was “very eye opening” because she was one out of only three black kids in her class. “I had to learn how to navigate in a new community while staying true to myself,” she said.

“If I didn’t attend the private school, I honestly didn’t see myself going to college” Williams said. It was there that she saw that her classmates had set goals for themselves to attend college, whereas that wasn’t something that was talked about in her public school and community. 

Her co-worker Vanessa Cobb, 10th-grade chemistry teacher, is also a friend of Williams. They both make and teach lessons together. 

“Working with her is always positive. She is very upbeat and ready to work,” Cobb stated. Williams is helpful to both her students and her co-workers. When things don’t go as planned she doesn’t get upset about it. 

At first Cobb was nervous when meeting Williams because they were working together so much, also because this is Cobb’s first year at Roosevelt. “She’s honest, helpful, she has overall good vibes and we can talk about things outside of work,” Cobb explained. Cobb thinks that Williams is always cheerful and  always thinking of something new that is fun.